Sunday, January 22, 2017

Pieces from horn, bone and shell

On Friday I started to make some jewellery from: buffalo horn; an old knife; beef bone; and pearl shell.

Over the weekend I got to finish most of the pieces.

I love the deep almost black colour of the buffalo horn. Silver and shell contrast so well against it.

©2017 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendants (about 4-4.5cm longhand .5cm thick)
©2017 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn earrings
©2017 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendants
©2017 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendant with silver embellishments
The old knife became a pendant with silver embellishments. The handle with the steel running through it also resulted in 3 pair of earrings.

©2017 Barry Smith - Knife handle earrings
©2017 Barry Smith - Knife handle pendant
I still love upcycling the beef bones we saved. A couple of pendants got finished with beach glass and stones; and a simple pair of earrings.

©2017 Barry Smith - Bone, stone and pale glass
©2017 Barry Smith - Bone, stone and dark green glass
©2017 Barry Smith - Bone earrings
The segments of pearl shell resulted in a simple classic pendant and a pair of earrings.

©2017 Barry Smith - Pearl drop pendant (about 5cm long and 2-3mm thick)
©2017 Barry Smith - Pearl drop earrings (about 2cm long)
The knife pendant and earrings will go off to a family member; and some of the horn, bone and shell pieces will make their way into my online Shop.


1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I love this post! Just one delight after another. And topped off with pearl shell! One of my favourite things because I grew up with a grandfather who was a master shell carver...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.