Sunday, January 8, 2017

A little bit of art

©2017 Barry Smith - Lead crystal, polished brass against a dirty cleaning cloth background
There is always the desire to create lurking even in a weary recovering body. So I grab an hour yesterday and another couple of hours this afternoon to make a little something.

Sometimes it is best to revert to the simple and the things that have brought one joy in the past. So I decided to make one (maybe two) Light Catchers from the heads of a couple of long handled spirit soldering irons - I bought a stash of these some months ago. I also knew I had two good antique crystals that would be used as a feature and catch the light.

The heads of the soldering irons can start out quite cumbersome and a bit ungainly but I know that under all that rust and excess metal lurks lovely brass.

©2017 Barry Smith  - And so the selection process begins
After detaching the heads and stripping the excess metal; I was in a position to rummage around my brass bits and pieces and come up with some interesting objects to loosely construct the two bodies.

©2017 Barry Smith - Bodies of the Light Catchers in the rough
I had the time and energy to grind, polish and assemble one of the Light Catchers - I'm please about that.
©2017 Barry Smith - Simple design - focus on the beauty of the found objects
I'm on the mend - but more rest and recuperation required.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Barry, I hope you feel better very soon. I don't know how long it took to grind and polish this old spirit soldering iron, but it was worth it. Your first light catcher looks fantastic!

    Gaby xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pox on these nasty germs! In spite of feeling less well than usual, you results are characteristically wonderful. Take care. Hope you feel great soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always such beautiful and inspiring work. Sending you good "vibes" for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you're on the mend! Those pesky viruses sneak up and catch us unawares...and some never seem to get the message that it's truly time for them to leave. Take care of yourself and go slowly. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi GB, AA, J and JQ - I can't believe that I have been so slack as not to have acknowledged you generous visits and comments - sorry. GB - thanks for your health wishes - I'm fully recovered and back into it - glad you liked the Light Catcher. AA - pox on germs indeed - thanks for your positive healing vibes. J - thanks for your comment and healing vibes. JQ - I'm back on deck and wreaking havoc. All - go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.