Sunday, July 17, 2016

Flying Funky Fish

Until I was doing the pack up to bring my stuff home I had forgotten that I had put some of my Funky Fish (FF) into Jo St Baker's gallery.

They had lost a bit of their lustre so I decided to give them a new lease of life.

©2016 Barry Smith - Funky Fish calling out for a bit of a makeover
I had started two other bits of work: making a couple of smaller (in scale and number) sets of my timber and aluminium mountain forms; and making word leaves for Lorraine. I was cutting up my remaining offcuts of red cedar timber as you can see from the photo below.

©2016 Barry Smith - Red Cedar timber mountain forms - cut and ready for shaping and sanding
Along the way I decided that I would turn three of the FF into a small sculptural installation that included timber and brass tube stands.

©2016 Barry Smith - Back of the FF with brass tubing inserted - drilled and glued 
I think the final installation has worked out well. I consulted Fiona about the lengths of brass tube - I wanted to give the fish air and movement - I think we achieved that through the varied length of the tubing.
©2016 Barry Smith - Funky Fish ride the waves - flying and shining
©2016 Barry Smith - FF ride the waves - flying
©2016 Barry Smith - FF untethered
I thought the stamped healing and nurturing words Lorraine selected made for an inspirational photo. They will be formed into inspiration leaves.

©2016 Barry Smith - Love, hope and calm

I'm always amazed where the metal and the wood takes me.

5 comments:

  1. Your fish are delightful, Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the fish are totally transformed. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi R, S, P and VA - thanks folks for dropping in and checking out the recycling of the fish; and thanks for your comments. All - agreed - they have turned out quite quirky. Go well and enjoy life, the environment and creativity. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.